Anyone who has changed residence knows, moves can be stressful. Here are some steps you can take now to help ease the transition into our new DSO building. You can also take a look at the Move Manual tab for more information on the move process.
- Bring your own boxes to take home personal items.
- Get rid of all old office material you are no longer using. Get rid of old magazines and articles, outdated calendars and notebooks, training materials no longer of use, documents that are copies of digital files, and working documents or drafts that are no longer needed.
- Scan whatever hard copy (printed) information you can and then shred or recycle the paper you no longer need. Refer to the Records Management section on the next page for items you are unsure about.
- Large shred bins have been provided at each DSO location. Contact your Move Ambassador should you need more information.
- Limit the supplies ordered between now and the move. Only order new items if it is absolutely necessary.
One to Two Weeks Before the Move
- Let your contacts and business partners you work with know that you are moving and share your new address with them.
- Make sure you have a parking sticker for your car. If you need to order a sticker, please contact our HR Service Center at email@example.com.
- Take home all personal items you have at your desk.
- If ordering business cards or letterheads, change the address to 2222 N. Alamo St. San Antonio TX 78215.
- Start packing work documents and office supplies in the boxes that facilities provide. Do not pack personal items in the moving boxes. Moving boxes are meant for work items. Take home all personal items as soon as possible.
- Label your boxes with your workstation or office number, name and department. Labels will be provided by the facilities department along with boxes.
- Before closing each box, you may want to put a piece of paper inside that gives a brief description of the contents. Create a separate list for yourself of the number of boxes you have packed and a brief description of the type of contents in each one. This will help you prioritize unpacking and ensure that all your boxes have arrived.
- If you’re planning on taking vacation during your move days, make sure to ask a colleague for help. You’ll want someone to check that all your boxes have arrived at the new building.
Day Before the Move
- Have all your items in boxes before the end of the day. The movers will come and pick up all items first thing in the morning.
- Double check that all your boxes have labels with your information. Boxes without labels will not be moved to the new building.
- Clean and wipe off any dust on your computer and work phone. You’ll want your equipment clean for the new building.
- Leave all existing furniture completely empty and unlocked with keys in it or on it.
- Share cell phone numbers among your team so you can communicate and collaborate as needed during the move.
First Day of the Move
- Arrive in comfortable clothes at your new work location in the DSO Building where your boxes, computer, and phone will be waiting for you.
- Settle in and enjoy!
- Information will be available at your desk regarding orientation, tours and other activities to familiarize yourself with the new building.